Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Definitions


In order to make our conversations on this blog a little easier, here are some of my personal definitions of some of the words you may see me use on my blog.

"Purpose" - I use this word to refer to the meaning of existence of a certain something. For examples, the purpose of my truck is, "Getting me safely, reliably and quickly from Point A to Point B." The purpose of my church is, "Reaching people to discover life in Christ." While many use "purpose" and "mission" interchangeably, I do not.

"Mission" - I usually use this word to describe an action that involves living out The Great Commission of the Christian life as found in Matt. 28: 18-20. My basic definition for this word is, “Anything a believer(s) does to serve an unbeliever in the name of Christ.” Mission usually takes place outside the walls of the church.

“Missional” – I use this word to describe a person, church, etc. that is living out The Great Commission.

“Ministry” – My basic definition for this word is, “Anything a believer(s) does to serve another believer in the name of Christ.” Ministry often (but not exclusively) takes place in the walls of a church or in another “Christian” setting such as a Bible Study or Small Group.

“Worship” – I use this word to describe any thought, action, behavior, etc. that brings glory to God. My basic definition for this word is, “Worship is our response, both personal and corporate, to God – for Who He is! And what He has done! Expressed in and by the things we say and the way we live.”

"Unchurched" - I use this word as an synonym for "unbelievers", "seekers", "the lost", "pre-Christians" or whatever else you want to use for people who don't know God.

I’ll add to this list as questions come up. Thanks!

Nate

No comments: